Home » Energy » How long does a gas safety certificate last?

How long does a gas safety certificate last?

How long does a gas safety certificate last?

Of all the questions landlords will ask, ‘How long does a Gas Safety certificate last?’ is probably one of the most important.

That’s because any gas appliances, including the boiler, in a rental property need to function properly and meet legal requirements.

Essentially, a gas safety certificate will be valid for 12 months but it only can be issued by a Gas Safe registered engineer.

You cannot hire someone who is not on the register to carry out the work – even if they hand you a certificate as this will be worthless.

And this inspection must be carried out every year for the engineer to performing the checks on all gas appliances so they work within a property.

Gas Safety certificate contains information

gas safety certificate

The Gas Safety certificate contains information that is crucial to prove a landlord has met their legal obligations. The Gas Safe engineer will:

  • Give their name and Gas Safe registered number
  • They will sign the certificate as confirmation
  • Give the day that the safety check was carried out
  • The property’s address must also be on the certificate.

The landlord will also need the certificate so they will need to give their correct name and address and the engineer will also carry out an inventory of every flue and appliance within the property.

The engineer will also make a note of any problems and whether remedial work needs to be carried out.

This certificate must be handed to tenants within 28 days of the engineer carrying out their check.

You must also give tenants a copy of the gas safety certificate before they move into a rental property.

While the certificate is only valid for 12 months, it’s a good idea for all landlords to keep a copy of their certificate for two years as this will show a track record of compliance with the law.

Difference between a Gas Safety certificate and a CP12 certificate

Landlords may be confused about the difference between a Gas Safety certificate and a CP12 certificate, but there’s no difference between the two.

Indeed, the original name for the certificate was the CP12 and it stands for Corgi CP12, which was a product code when Corgi, the Council for Registered Gas Installers, carried out the work.

However, since April 2009, the Gas Safe Register was introduced which is where the certificate gets its name from.

Landlord not having a Gas Safety certificate

It’s also worth discussing the situation should a landlord not have a Gas Safety certificate.

It’s important to appreciate that the law is strict on this issue and for those landlords who do not fulfil their legal obligations, then you are liable to being fined.

Also, a tenant will be given further protection should you decide to the evict them.

However, the landlord is only responsible for their own gas appliances.

This is an important point to understand because should a tenant bring their own gas appliances, then they will remain their responsibility.

The landlord will only be legally required to look after the fittings and the flues.

While this is clear in the law, it’s still best to carry out the Gas Safety check on all appliances within the property, regardless of whether the landlord owns them because you will be meeting the spirit of the law.

The cost of a Gas Safety certificate

The cost of a Gas Safety certificateFortunately, having the Gas Safety certificate inspection is not an expensive undertaking.

It’s always worth shopping around and if you have a letting agent looking after your property, then they can take care of this for you.

The price of the inspection is not overseen and there’s no mandatory price for it.

However, you must use a Gas Safe registered engineer because this will be a professional with a reputation in delivering quality work.

Despite this, there will be some safety engineers that are better than others, so you should seek a recommendation, check online reviews or ask a professional landlords’ organisation who they would recommend in your area.

Gas Safety certificate renewal

Gas Safety certificate renewalWhile it is important to understand that the certificate itself will last for 12 months, there are some issues when it comes to organising the Gas Safety certificate inspection.

This may cause some concern for landlords and agents as well as tenants and Gas Safe engineers.

That’s because you’ll need to be organised in time because Gas Safe engineers may be busy, so you may struggle to find an available engineer.

In addition, you will also need to coordinate with the tenant so they can give access to the property so the gas safety check can be carried out.

You may not be able to fix an appointment that is close to the certificate renewal date, and you really should have the inspection carried out before the certificate expires.

The Health and Safety Executive and gas safety

The Health and Safety Executive and gas safetyThere’s a really useful website that has been put together by the Health and Safety Executive with various questions and answers that landlords may be asking about their Gas Safety certificate.

The website makes clear that landlords are responsible for their tenant’s safety under the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998.

The law also makes clear that gas appliances, flues and fittings that are in communal areas are also part of the landlord’s responsibilities.

It’s also worth pointing out that the website highlights that should a new appliance or flue be installed, then it is subject to a safety check within 12 months of its installation by a Gas Safe registered engineer.

Also, some landlords may be tempted to pass the responsibility for carrying out the gas check to their tenants while putting the tenancy contract together.

This is strictly not allowed and a tenant has a duty if they believe a gas appliance is dangerous not to use it.

For those landlords who use letting or managing agents, then the contract between you needs to make clear who is responsible for arranging the safety checks.

Never lose sight of the fact that the person responsible for gas safety in rental properties is the landlord and never the letting agent or tenant or any other body.

Organising a landlord Gas Safety certificate

Essentially, organising a landlord Gas Safety certificate should not cost too much or take too much of your time, but it’s something you must do every year.

Meeting your legal obligations as a landlord is crucial to ensure that your rental property will be a success.

About the author


Property Investment Guide

Our mission is to give you all the latest info about property investment.

Add Comment

Click here to post a comment